So far, we have heard little from Apple about their plans to support AVIF on their platforms, particularly Safari. Since they are among the companies in the Alliance of Open Media that are actively developing AVIF, we can expect them to release support faster than they did with WebP. This is at least our hope, as incompatible browsers are one major factor for an unsupported format. As for Safari for macOS, support for AV1 is still pending as well.
The tracked bug mentions added AVIF support on the 5th of March 2021. This patch brings initial support of the AVIF image format to the gtk port. This patch includes AVIF support and basic decoding of still images using libavif. Animated AVIF images will be protected in a future patch.
Related search terms
- a new version of safari with avif support on the way?
- avif is supported by webkit?
- does safari browser support avif images?
- does webkit support avif?
- is your browser capable of displaying avif images?
- safari adding avif support soon?
- which browsers are capable of displaying avif pictures?
- will apple support avif images in safari?